Dr. Ajit Shinto Senior Consultant- Nuclear Medicine and Theranostics
Dr Ajit Shinto is a Senior Consultant in Nuclear Medicine with 15 years of stupendous experience. He serves as the executive member and a special advisor to the radionuclide and targeted therapy committee of the Apollo group. Dr Ajit holds the prestigious position of being the Task Force Chairman for Rhenium-188 based therapy propagation for the entire world and is a part of the governing body of WARMTH (World Association of Radionuclide and Molecular Therapy). Currently, he leads the Rhenium-188 based Lipiodol therapy for inoperable Hepatocellular Carcinoma (HCC) in Asia and is actively involved in setting up similar facilities in developing countries. He has been the author of more than 100 International publications, is the reviewer for numerous peer-reviewed International journals and serves as the Co-Editor in Chief of The International Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Research and is also the Managing Editor for the World Journal of Nuclear Medicine. He is one of the leaders of a new brand of dynamic nuclear medicine professionals and has won the prestigious “Emerging leadership award” for the Asia -Oceania region awarded by the World Federation of Nuclear Medicine and Biology in 2018, in Australia and ‘Fast Track Clinical Collaborator of the year’ award as well. He serves as a proctor and academic advisor to Bharathiar University, IIT Chennai and various pharmaceutical companies working with radio-pharmaceuticals & radionuclide industry and is a much sought after speaker at various National and International forums.
Education & Training
- Bachelor degree in Medicine & Surgery (MBBS) from St Johns Medical College, Bangalore University in 2000.
- Diploma in Radiation/Nuclear Medicine from Mumbai University in 2006 and holds the University Gold Medal
- Diploma in Nuclear Medicine from the National Board, 2008
- Postgraduate diploma in hospital administration and health management from Bangalore University in 2008
- Former Chief Consultant and Head for the Department of Nuclear Medicine & Therapy in KMCH, Coimbatore
- Former Course Director of Nuclear Medicine Technology Courses in MGR University, Chennai
- Former Director of Molecular Targeted Therapy Committee
- Former Chief Consultant and HOD of Nuclear Medicine and Therapy, Amala Medical College and Institute of Medical sciences
- Former Consultant of Nuclear Radiologist and Physician in Narayana Hrudayalaya Hospital; Bangalore
- Former Chief Consultant for PET operations & Nuclear Medicine Specialist in Teleradiology Solutions, Bangalore
- Visiting Faculty for Diagnostic Imaging department at St Johns National Academy of Health Sciences, Bangalore
- Former Consultant Nuclear Medicine & Scientific Officer “C” at Bhabha Atomic Research Centre and Radiation Medicine Centre
- Served as Nuclear Medicine Applications Specialist at Doctors Diagnostic Nuclear Medicine and Research Centre, Kerala.
- Former faculty for Medical Physics and Radiology courses at Dr. NGP group of Institutions, Coimbatore
- Chairman of the task force relating to the World WARMTH Rhenium Project
- Co-Editor in Chief for International Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Research
- Governing board member of World Association of Radiopharmaceutical and Molecular Therapy
- Executive committee member of the Society of Nuclear Medicine, India
- Managing editor of the World Journal of Nuclear Medicine
- Member of the National Academy of Medical Sciences (NAMS)
- Member of the Indian College of Nuclear Medicine (ICNM)
Publications and Awards
- Has been the speaker in CME programmes (International, National & Regional levels) of about 260 meetings over 10 years.
- Have given more than 500 guest lectures at State level, National and International forums.
- Have done more than 70 International presentations in Nuclear Medicine as the first author.
- Received 9 best paper awards.
- Young scientist award – SNM 2006 Washington DC.
- Best original research paper – Nuclear Medicine update, Singapore 2011
- Karkala Subbarao prize for Best oral presentation SNMI 2008.
Areas of Expertise
- Targeted therapy for Brain Tumours
- Targeted therapy for Prostate Cancer
- Peptide Receptor Radionuclide Therapy (PRRT)
- Intra-arterial liver cancer therapy