Prof. Venkat R Ramakrishnan International Senior Consultant- Plastic & Cosmetic Breast Surgeon
Prof. Venkat Ramakrishnan is an Internationally Renowned Plastic & Cosmetic Surgeon with an exemplary experience of over 40 years. Qualifying in medicine in 1983, Dr Ramakrishnan undertook comprehensive training in plastic surgery in Australia. He is an expert in performing breast reconstruction using DIEP Flaps and TUG Flaps, having performed over 1500 of these procedures to date. He has been practising cosmetic plastic surgery since 1987.
Dr Ramakrishnan’s sub-speciality is reconstructive breast surgery, cosmetic breast surgery, cosmetic facial surgery, lipo-sculpturing and body lifts. He has a special interest in aesthetic and reconstructive surgery of the breast, performing many microsurgical breast reconstructions using the DIEP Flap and the TUG Flap. This work forms a major part of his NHS commitment as Consultant Plastic Surgeon at St Andrew’s Centre for Plastic Surgery and Burns at Broomfield Hospital in Chelmsford, Essex. He is a member of the Editorial Board of the Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery and Archives of Plastic Surgery and Chairman of the Microsurgery Sub-committee of the British Association of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons.
Dr. Ramakrishnan has over 100 publications in peer reviewed journals. He has given numerous presentations and keynote addresses at international meetings, including the Susruta oration at the Association of Plastic Surgeons of India and the Gillies oration at the British Association of Plastic Surgeons. He is amongst others a member of the British Association of Plastic Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgeons, a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons and the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons. He is also a visiting Professor to the Anglia Ruskin University, Chelmsford.
EDUCATION & TRAINING:
- Bachelor degree in Medicine & Surgery (MBBS) from Madras Medical College, Madras University, Chennai in 1983
- Master of Science(MS) in General Surgery from Madras Medical School, 1986
- Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (FRACS) in Plastic Surgery, Melbourne, Australia, 1990
- Fellowship of the Royal Colleges of Surgeons (FRCS), London in 1998
- Consultant Plastic Surgeon, Mid Essex Hospitals NHS Trust, St. Andrew’s Centre for Plastic Surgery, Broomfield Hospital, Chelmsford, Essex UK
- Former Consultant Plastic Surgeon in Hull & East Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust, East Yorkshire, UK
- Former Consultant Plastic Surgeon, Malar Hospitals and Lady Willingdon Hospital, Chennai, India
- Locum Consultant Plastic Surgeon in North East Regional Plastic and Burns Unit, at St Andrew’s Hospital, Billericay, Essex, UK
- Was the Director for Pan Thames Educational Programme
- Service Director, Speciality Directorate, MEHT, Chelmsford, Essex UK
- Former Member, Project Board, National Mastectomy & Immediate Reconstruction Audit, Health Care Commission
- Former Chairman, BAPRAS Educational Programme
- Member, Gandhiniketan Ashram Executive committee
- Consultant, Mentor Medicals, Division of J&J
- Has been the visiting professor for renowned International Institutions
- Member of esteemed International panels and peer review groups.
PUBLICATIONS and awards:
- Author for more than 250 books and publications in the field of Plastic and reconstructive breast surgery
- Have presented in more than 200 International and National conferences and meetings
AREA OF INTEREST:
- Reconstructive breast surgery
- Cosmetic breast surgery
- Cosmetic Facial Surgery
- Lipo- sculpturing
- Body lifts